It’s my BIRTHDAY!!!
Okay so today I can’t even think like the Marketer or Business lady that I am. I am just thinking about how today is My Birthday. I might actually say that for another 10 paragraphs, ask the Uber guy that just told me Happy Birthday twice this morning, I better get straight to my 25 Life Lessons.
1. Home is best because you receive loads of love everywhere you go: It was hard for me to leave Dublin this time round because of the people that genuinely care for me. I felt like I was going to miss them, but really, I was going to miss the impact of the love we share. I am talking like I won’t be back in August, such a drama queen! It’s been a week in Kenya and I have been receiving love everywhere. “Wangu, you have become so beautiful, gosh?” Imagine getting that compliment over and over. “Esther, welcome back, we have to meet before you go.” You will receive love anywhere you go in the world, but it won’t be as much as the one you get back at home, and that’s why home is best!
2. There will be people whose main mission is to fuck you over: Pardon my french! I have been blogging for 4 years now and I have never used curse words on any of my posts. It’s My Birthday, so I get a pass today! Why they choose to fuck you over is often not a mystery, but it’s important that you know it’s not your fault. It’s going to be extremely challenging to deal with such people, but what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger! Plus God is ALWAYS in control, remember that as you try to sort things out.
3. Standing orders to your savings account will be the best thing you do with your salary: I remember the day I set up my standing order, I wasn’t sure if it will even make sense in the long-run. I had decided that half of my salary will not be touched, it will go straight into my savings account and I won’t even be involved in that process. 2 days after I am paid, the funds are sent immediately. 24 months later I can confidently confirm that at least half of my salary was not mismanaged. I could have probably been wiser with the other half, but at least 50% of my salary has been saved since the first day I joined Google in 2015. Start today and send me a picture of your smile after 12 months!
4. Banks may fuck you over too! It’s been over a year since I could not access funds I had invested in a certain bank that collapsed in Kenya. I have generally been relaxed about the situation because I take it as an expensive lesson that needed to be learnt. Plus a part of me believes I will get my money back, just not when I want it. Although I recognise that I am not in a financially tight position, other people are likely to have a different story from mine. My advice to you is to choose your bank wisely, personally I opened an account with Standard Chartered yesterday after 2 years of not being able to trust any of the Kenyan banks.
5. Invest in great friends: If you came across a diamond, you would pick it up gently, hide it from everyone because you don’t want anyone to steal it. You will instead keep it safe because it’s a treasure. I know you may have the option of selling it to make millions, but for the sake of today’s lesson, let’s stick to the bit where you do everything to maintain it. That’s exactly what you need to do with great friends, because they are also rare gems. Despite there being so much evil in this world, they came out beautiful similar to how diamonds are made under pressure! Invest in your living diamonds!
6. Don’t be caught up with the fallacy that people will be fair, because they won’t: I remember the exact moment it dawned on me that the guy I was expecting to create a just situation for me will absolutely not do anything. For all you know, he may actually be contributing to the unfair situation. That’s just one example, I am sure if I ask you to highlight moments where you felt justice was not served, you will ponder which one to begin with because they will be so many. Again, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger!
7. There are in fact really good people as well: After removing the chaff from rice, you proceed to admire the beautiful portion that is ready for cooking. Often people give so much energy to negative things and forget to simmer the positive ones. Tell a beautiful person they should be models, quite frankly I am always afraid people will think I am hitting on them because I go in with the compliments. I love to share positive energy and what better way to do it than by sparking complimentary conversations? It’s important that you manage your expectations with good people, they are not your Family, don’t go about expecting kidney donations from them. Just enjoy the much they give and know the ones you can expect kidneys from. Moderation my friend, moderation!
8. It’s important to know when you have given someone too many chances and continue to prove they don’t deserve it: Personally I am a really nice person, at least that’s what my very close friends tell me. “You are too nice, you give people so many chances, but that’s what you make you Esther” – they say. Ideally I never mind people using me if I don’t get hurt, even if they succeed and miss to thank me, it’s really okay, I will proceed knowing I did my part. Although recently I started realising this can a have a negative impact on me and it’s totally not worth it. I started spotting ways some of these people purposely tried to bring me down and I eventually decided I am not going to ignore it, especially when all I have done is pulling them up! It’s time to be too nice to myself!
9. Good men support women regardless of whether they want to date them or not: Ladies have you ever hanged out with a guy and he consistently kept surprising you – in a good way? I am literally getting sweaty palms just thinking about the guy on my mind. My womb could literally walk to his scrotum and beg for sperms. I mean you don’t even have to date him, you just think that whoever gets to marry him will be one lucky princess! Their goodness is not defined by who they are to the women they love, but who they are to all the women they interact with. From waitresses to air hostesses! I obsess over such men because I know they are diamonds and no one will take them away from me. Invest in good men ladies, have them as friends, boyfriends and if you are lucky enough, husbands!
10. Stay away from bad boys: They are so hard to resist, aren’t they? You literally get addicted to them. Often we think they only affect our emotional state, but time has taught me that they also affect your mental state which is even worse. If you get a manipulative one, he will make you think everyone is your enemy and he is the only one you should trust. Turns out he is in fact the one person you should not trust! I am yet to understand how people that hurt you manage to fool you for a long time. It’s as if they have perfected the art of hypocrisy you could not spot any malice in them. Some people deserve Emmys for their acting skills, too good to be spotted! Again, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
In the end, I am happy I am in Kenya to celebrate my 25th Birthday with everyone that matters to me. It started with dinner and drinks with my high school best friend, driving from one restaurant to the other as they closed one by one.Which reminds me the moment My Dad came to say hey to us as we were having dinner, it was a moment where he got to see his daughter with a true friend. I can imagine how happy a Parent can be to see something like that.Eventually we decided to go her Family home to continue with the wine and chit chats. At this point I was having wine and lemon ginger at the same time, hahaha. I love her so much, My Family knows this, couldn’t stop telling them about her in high school.
Well this is a Marketing blog, let me spare you the happy details of my birthday so far. I hope this lessons resonate with you and inspire you to live a happier Life.
Happy Birthday to me! All I wanted was to be where I am today, at home with Family and Friends. There is a suitcase coming on Friday that is full of gifts for them, as you would imagine, they can not wait for it to arrive. 24 year old Esther faced tough challenges, so she bought 25 year old Esther an acre piece of land with this view to build a holiday home in the future! If I can take a moment to talk like a Parent – “work hard so that you can buy yourself holiday home piece of land on your birthday”
I hope this inspires you and doesn’t make you feel you some type of way, I am only sending positive vibes! Until next time, I have a cake to pick 🙂